As a privately-owned, biopharmaceutical company, Ferring pioneers and delivers life-changing therapies that help people build families and live better lives. Our independence helps us cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit and long-term perspective that enables us to achieve growth and scale, while remaining agile and true to our ‘people first’ philosophy. Built on a 70-year plus commitment to science and research, Ferring is relentless in its pursuit of science that drives powerful discoveries and therapies to help people build families, stay healthy, and stand up to the world’s oldest enemy: disease.
The Software Engineer will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, and enhancing large-scale software solutions, including databases, APIs, and data workflows in the cloud. We are looking for someone who enjoys a fast-paced environment and who can apply their expertise to fuel biological discoveries.
With Ferring, you will be joining a recognized leader, identified as one of “The World’s Most Innovative Companies” by Fast Company, and honored by Fortune with inclusion on its “Change the World List,” for addressing society’s unmet needs. Ferring US is also Great Places to Work® Certified, distinguishing it as one of the best companies to work for in the country.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the Software Engineer include but not limited to:
- Build and maintain databases and scalable workflows in the cloud to access and process experimental data from multiple –omics sources.
- Implement best practices for data management, version control, automated testing and ensure quality and stability in collaboration with the data science team and other stakeholders.
- Plan and execute data integrations and migrations within the cloud and with external applications and data sources.
- Develop, document and maintain APIs to allow for injection and extraction of data programmatically.
- Monitor and analyze performance, identifying and resolving bottlenecks in workflows and other applications.
- Troubleshoot and problem-solve systems, workflows and applications across platforms and application domains.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand business requirements and translate them into scalable and efficient solutions.
- Mentor and coach other team members in area of expertise
- Carry out other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned or required.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, MIS, or other engineering discipline preferred.
- 3+ years of python software development experience
- 3+ years of cloud-based development (AWS), preferably with infrastructure as code.
- 2+ years experience developing and maintaining databases and APIs.
- Strong understanding of core AWS services, uses, and basic AWS architecture best practices.
- Experience with AWS tools: RDS, DynamoDB, S3, EC2, ECS, EBS, ECR, Lambda, Cloud Watch, Container insight, CF templates
- Proficiency in python, SQL, software best practices, and software design
- Experience with Boto3, SQL Alchemy, Flask, FastAPI, Pandas or equivalent tools
- Knowledge of ETL (extract, transform, load) processes for data integration.
- Experience working with linux operating systems.
- Skilled with command line tools and bash scripting
- Proficient with Git version control (Gitlab or Github)
- Containerization with Docker or Singularity
- Experience writing infrastructure as code (IaC) (Terraform or Cloud Formation)
- Experience with genomic data or laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
- Experience in bioinformatics or working closely with bioinformatics teams.
- Experience optimizing transactions with millions of rows of data.
- Experience in FDA regulated, 21 CFR compliant systems.
- Experience working in a DevOps software development environment.
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments..
- Effective in both written and oral communication. This includes the ability to appropriately inform and influence team members, coworkers, and executive leadership.
- Experience with the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and delivery using Agile practices.
- Understanding of the Application Lifecycle Management, Software Configuration Management, and Test Environment Management
- Problem-solving skills – ability to resolve complex issues.
- Interpersonal & Communications Skills – ability to communicate and relate effectively with other team members.
- Flexibility - ability to update sections of software, as well as simultaneously managing changes to other parts of workflows; must be resilient to a changing landscape.
- Collaboration – partnering with and helping team members cross functionally with the ability to uphold productive relationships while navigating competing concerns.
- Professionalism - Treating others with respect and displaying a positive attitude while adhering to the standards and conduct policies of the company.
- Technical acumen - Demonstrates a strong understanding of software development and cloud computing.
Ferring + you
At Ferring, we offer competitive total compensation along with an exceptional range of flexible benefits, personal support and tailored learning and development opportunities all designed to help you realize your full potential both in life and at work. From working hours that respect your lifestyle, a culture that is welcoming and equitable, and the chance to work with the industry’s most impressive people, these are just some of the ways we live our "People First" philosophy.
Our Compensation and Benefits
At Ferring, base salary is one part of our competitive total compensation and benefits package and is determined using a salary range. The base salary range for this role is $88,400 to $93,500, which is the reasonable estimate of the base compensation for this role. The actual amount paid may differ based on non-discriminatory factors such as experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, education and primary work location. Additional compensation for this role will be provided based on competitive annual incentive compensation targets in the form of an annual bonus - payouts are based on individual and company performance.
Benefits for this role include comprehensive healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) with a premium differential, inverse to base salary, to be paid by employees, a 401k plan and company match, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellness benefits, reimbursement for certain tuition expenses, 40 hours of sick time, vacation time for full time employees to accrue up to 150 hours in the first four (4) years of employment, and 187.50 hours in the fifth (5th) year of employment as well as 12 to 13 paid holidays per year. We are proud to offer 26 weeks of paid parental leave, learn more about the parental leave offering in our benefits package here.
Ferring is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Join our team and your voice will be heard, and your contributions will be valued. If you love to come up with new ways to make a positive difference and see them through, you will fit right in.
We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (including Disability/Protected Veterans). We maintain a drug-free workplace.