Manager - U.S. Public Policy
Our team members are at the heart of everything we do. At Cencora, we are united in our responsibility to create healthier futures, and every person here is essential to us being able to deliver on that purpose. If you want to make a difference at the center of health, come join our innovative company and help us improve the lives of people and animals everywhere. Apply today!
What you will be doing
Under supervision of the Senior Director, Head of U.S. Public Policy, the Manager, U.S. Public Policy is responsible for coordinating Cencora’s federal and state policy priorities and related internal and external grassroots and grasstops communications strategies in coordination with Cencora's federal and state advocacy and political operations teams. The Manager, U.S. Public Policy will help develop and execute policy and advocacy objectives for one of Cencora’s commercial business segments.
The Manager, U.S. Public Policy will partner with federal and state advocacy teams to assess and communicate potential government activities back to Cencora’s business internally and will work on strategies and positions to help coordinate external advocacy efforts, in alignment with Cencora’s business objectives. This position will assist in managing communication with internal leaders to proactively position our businesses to capitalize on current and future changes in federal and state legislation, regulation and administration policy.
The person in this position will help to maintain an understanding of Cencora’s business lines, products and services and analyzing key trends that will impact government policy and equip our leaders to recognize and address its impact on our businesses. This position will also support the Head of U.S. Public Policy to drive internal alignment regarding our legislative strategies, and support Cencora’s growth goals through enhancing our collaboration with internal and external partners/customers.
The ideal candidate is based in Washington, DC and some travel should be expected (appropriately 25%). Remote candidates will also be considered.
• Assist Senior Director, Head of U.S. Public Policy with Cencora’s Policy Committee, including helping with meeting facilitation (ie, setting/coordinating the agenda with core group of Global Policy Committee (GPC) business leaders and U.S. Public Policy and Advocacy team members) as well as outreach to Committee members on general and focused matters.
• Assist Senior Director, Head of U.S. Public Policy with developing a U.S. risk register for policy priorities and risks in the U.S. and maintain the ongoing policy analysis with trade associations and associations.
• Craft and coordinate development and implementation of policy-focused internal-facing and customer-facing communications across Cencora businesses, as well as provide policy solutions for internal business, and legislative responses such as QFRs, congressional inquiries.
• Coordinate regulatory review and comment consideration/development across businesses as needed for both State and Federal agencies.
• Collaborate cross-functionally internally to develop messaging, external positions and presentations for public policy, and be able to cogently present issues in a succinct manner.
• Identify and analyze public policy trends, and as it relates to healthcare policy in coordination with the Head of U.S. Public Policy and develop solutions to align with business interests.
• Work collaboratively with business leaders and subject matter experts to develop public policy positions on important issues to our businesses and functional units, and develop one-pagers, and public facing materials to explain Cencora’s positions.
• Monitor, analyze, and prioritize proposed changes in law or policy that impacts our businesses, developing internal alignment with business unit leaders regarding those issues.
• Serve as a subject matter expert in areas of pharmaceutical supply chain and distribution, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, drug pricing mechanisms and other marketplace changes affecting pharmaceutical distribution and provider and patient access to drug therapies
• Serve as a conduit to policy contract consultants and internal advisors assisting our work in policy.
• Work with U.S. Public Policy and Advocacy team and business unit leads to identify opportunities for Cencora to be a thought leader on meaningful public policies, and identify opportunities to present at various conferences, roundtables, and panels.
• At the direction of the Senior Director, Head of U.S. Public Policy, represent Cencora in various member organizations and policy-focused venues.
• Serve as a relationship manager internally with commercial business and functional leaders.
• Work with other departments across our company in partnership so as to influence regulators and legislators as appropriate.
What your background should look like
- Requires broad training in fields such as business administration, accounting, sales, marketing, computer sciences or similar vocations generally obtained through completion of bachelor’s degree Program
- Requires five years (5) years of experience in public policy, government, public affairs, advocacy, or similar experience, with thorough understanding of the federal and state legislative procedures. Knowledge of healthcare, CMS, Medicare/ Medicaid, pricing and/or pharmaceutical/pharmacy issues strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to manage internal and external relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills; attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to identify issues, offer solutions, and communicate processes
- Excellent written, verbal communication and advocacy skills
- Excellent judgement and strong political acumen
- Demonstrated ability as a project manager and collaborator
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to resolve issues quickly and efficiently
- Ability to represent a positive and professional image
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook
- Ability to implement processes resulting in satisfactory audit practices
What Cencora offers
We provide compensation, benefits, and resources that enable a highly inclusive culture and support our team members’ ability to live with purpose every day. In addition to traditional offerings like medical, dental, and vision care, we also provide a comprehensive suite of benefits that focus on the physical, emotional, financial, and social aspects of wellness. This encompasses support for working families, which may include backup dependent care, adoption assistance, infertility coverage, family building support, behavioral health solutions, paid parental leave, and paid caregiver leave.
To encourage your personal growth, we also offer a variety of training programs, professional development resources, and opportunities to participate in mentorship programs, employee resource groups, volunteer activities, and much more.
For details, visit https://www.virtualfairhub.com/amerisourcebergen
Affiliated CompaniesAffiliated Companies: AmerisourceBergen Services Corporation
Equal Employment Opportunity
Cencora is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or membership in any other class protected by federal, state or local law.
The company’s continued success depends on the full and effective utilization of qualified individuals. Therefore, harassment is prohibited and all matters related to recruiting, training, compensation, benefits, promotions and transfers comply with equal opportunity principles and are non-discriminatory.