DevOps Engineer (Valence Labs)
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
About Valence Labs
Valence Labs is a research and productization engine within Recursion dedicated to advancing the frontier of AI in drug discovery. Combining the intellectual freedom of academia with the resources and stability of industry, we develop novel AI technologies to spearhead a fundamental shift in the way we discover and develop treatments for complex disease. Our research is driven by optimism, purpose, and a shared vision for a healthier tomorrow. We publish in top journals and conferences, are deeply committed to open-science and open- source, and maintain some of the largest and most active research communities in our industry. Our team is headquartered in Montreal, where we share close connections with Mila, the world’s largest deep learning research institute.
About the role
We’re seeking an experienced DevOps Engineer to shape and lead the development of software and AI systems that will help in our mission of decoding biology to radically improve lives. We're looking for individuals with strong engineering skills, including expertise in designing, implementing, improving, and deploying distributed machine learning systems at significant scale. In addition, we highly value proficiency with state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms and exceptional problem-solving skills. In this role, you will:
- Support Valence Labs’ research agenda across ML for drug discover
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of scientists to inform and improve our models and systems.
- Design, implement, and manage robust CI/CD pipelines tailored for large-scale machine learning workflows, ensuring efficient and error-free deployments.
- Continuously monitor, assess, and optimize the infrastructure and tools for the ML platforms, prioritizing scalability, reliability, and security.
- Facilitate seamless collaboration between scientists, engineers, and software developers by creating intuitive tools and environments, while also ensuring reproducibility and version control for ML experiments.
- Stay updated on the latest advancements in both DevOps and MLOps fields, proactively suggesting and implementing best practices, tools, and technologies to optimize our machine learning infrastructure and operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of experience working with DevOps tools, ML platforms, and scientific computing frameworks.
- Expertise working and maintaining modern cloud infrastructure (e.g., Kubernetes, SLURM cluster), and CI/CD pipelines tailored for ML workflows.
- Strong programming skills and deep understanding of modern software development and DevOps practices, especially in Python
- Experience in implementing, optimizing, and deploying machine learning models, including hands-on experimentation, performance analysis, and system integration.
- A keen interest in bridging the gap between machine learning research, experiments, and its practical application in production environments.
Nice to have:
- Experience in the optimization and deployment of high-performance machine learning models, especially deep learning, in a production environment.
- Ability to quickly understand, implement, and adapt ML solutions based on insights from the Valence team and scientific publications.
- Participation or collaboration in prominent DevOps or MLOps-related projects or discussions, whether through forums, online platforms, or recognized conferences.
- Contributions to, or familiarity with, open-source MLOps or DevOps tools and platforms.
- Knowledge or desire to learn the necessary biology, chemistry, and physics knowledge to collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of drug discovery scientists.
- Experience in a multidisciplinary setting, bridging the gap between technical and scientific teams.
At Valence Labs, we foster an inclusive and diverse work environment. Join our multidisciplinary team of passionate researchers, eager to push the boundaries of ML research and contribute to technology that will transform drug discovery and human health.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.