Staff Software Engineer
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
At Recursion, we combine experimental biology, chemistry, automation and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for diseases. We generate a wide variety of data across different biological and chemical domains. The Staff Software Engineer, Maps of Biology and Chemistry will develop software solutions to model, transform and visualize this high dimensional data to generate insights and drive Recursion’s drug discovery efforts forward. Success in this role means the right data is at the fingertips of the right people so they can make the right decisions and discover medicines that will change lives.
The Impact You'll Make
- Build, scale, and operate an application platform. You will be a member of the Maps of Biology and Chemistry team responsible for designing, building, operating an application platforms that allows users to discover and query across the breadth of our data at Recursion, which includes a chemistry library with millions of compounds, Petabytes of cellular microscopy images taken in millions of different experimental contexts involving to support Recursion’s drug discovery.
- Build relatability into a heterogeneous dataset. At Recursion, we generate datasets based on a wide swath of diverse biological models and treatment approaches. You will work with Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers to develop applications to visualize and query these datasets so they can be used in the future to answer the sorts of questions we haven't even thought of asking yet. We make extensive use of Machine Learning and Large Language Models to drive our drive discovery in an autonomous fashion.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor. As a Staff Engineer you will share your technical knowledge and experiences, delivering impact, learning, and growth across teams at Recursion.
The Team You'll Join
The team solves the problem of making our diverse Biological and Chemical data discoverable, queryable, relatable, and visualizable across datasets to drive our drug discovery process forward. This will require collaboration with many different groups including a team of chemists and biologists that generate the data, product managers who drive the vision for our platforms, and teams finding and generating the required data for the machine learning problems.
You will also have a peer group of Staff+ Engineers that work together on the craft of Engineering Leadership. We all work better when we have the support of those around us and are learning together to solve problems across our teams.
This position is based at our headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah OR our offices in Toronto, Ontario.
The Experience You'll Need
- Though we don’t have specific targets around the number of years worked, we are looking for people with wide experience to be a technical leader and a mentor to the team and beyond.
- Excitement to learn parts of our tech stack that you might not already know. Our current tech stack includes: Python, React, PostgreSQL, Kafka, CI/CD, Infrastructure as Code, Large Language Models and basic MLOps. Our cloud services are provided by Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience working on applications that enable the discovery, visualization, query, and processing of large datasets.
- Experience delivering projects with significant ambiguity and technical complexity, ideally spanning multiple production systems and involving diverse technologies.
- Experience being resourceful and collaborative in order to complete large projects. We don't have much in the way of project managers.
- Be up to date on industry trends and tools. You understand the tradeoffs between platform architectures and technologies and can mentor others.
- A people-first mindset. Despite the deadlines, we always prioritize supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
How You’ll be Supported
- Peer mentor assigned for onboarding during first 90 days
- Work is typically completed using mobbing or pairing
- Regular 1:1s with supervisor for support and feedback
- Weekly retros facilitate team cohesion
- Attendance to one technical conference per year paid for by company
At Recursion, we believe that every employee should be compensated fairly. Based on the skill and level of experience required for this role, the estimated current annual base range for this role is:
- Developing: $230,000 CAD
- Skilled: $244,000 CAD
- Expert: $262,000 CAD
To learn more about our level within levels, click here.
You will also be eligible for bonuses and equity compensation + our comprehensive benefits package for United States based candidates. The range displayed on each job posting reflects target ranges for US new hire salaries and is determined by job, level, and market factors.
During the interview selection process, you will connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who will be your advocate and ally to ensure you receive the appropriate compensation that meets your needs for your skills, experience, and relevant education/training, while also reviewing our very competitive total rewards package.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.