Scientist - Non-Viral Delivery Development
Specific Biologics is dedicated to developing therapeutics that treat or cure diseases through precision gene editing. Our platform technology Dualase™ is uniquely designed to target and correct genetic errors in ways that better use a cell’s natural repair processes. Our technologies hold the promise to provide new and potentially curative treatments to patients with serious and life-altering genetic diseases.
Join us in our mission to treat or cure genetic diseases.
Specific Biologics is seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join our start-up team. The core responsibilities of the Scientist will be to develop and test new formulations of lipid nanoparticles and other nanocarrier technologies to deliver nucleic acids and proteins to target cells. Preference will be given to candidates with a background in chemistry, materials sciences, molecular biology, biochemistry or related disciplines.
- Lead experimental design, planning and execution to develop and test lipid nanoparticle (LNP) and other non-viral formulations for delivery of nucleic acid and protein gene editors.
- Design, formulate and test LNPs / nanocarriers in various model cell systems.
- Optimize manufacturing of LNPs / nanocarriers as a delivery system for therapeutic targets and cell types.
- Perform manufacturing of LNPs / nanocarriers to support ongoing research, including scaling for preclinical testing.
- Serve as a technical expert to transfer methods, processes and materials to third parties for external research and manufacturing.
- Author and contribute to publications, presentations and intellectual property disclosures.
- Due to the nature of the work, occasional work may be required on weekends or holidays.
- Self-motivated — eager to ‘dive-in’ and take ownership for work. Effectively manage time and plan activities.
- Collaborative and helpful — ability to work across functional areas. Actively work with colleagues and take an active interest in other’s ideas and opinions.
- Organized – ability to handle complex projects efficiently. Accurate and concise record keeping.
- Strong communicator — ability to explain complex, technical ideas to a variety of audiences. Clear, concise writing.
- Intellectual curiosity — desire to ask questions, challenge assumptions and develop unique solutions to challenging problems. Naturally drawn to researching new topics and approaches in literature and other sources.
- 4 – 6 years of related experience in lipid nanoparticles / nanocarriers, preferably in a pharmaceutical or biotech setting.
- Demonstrated experience in lipid nanoparticle / nanocarrier design, formulation, production, and testing of encapsulated nucleic acids (DNA and RNA) and proteins.
- Demonstrated experience in mammalian cell culture, including aseptic technique.
- Experience testing of the effects of compounds on cell health, including measures of viability and other markers of cell health.
- Experience in biophysical characterization of LNPs / nanocarriers using techniques such as light scattering, microscopy and charge determination.
- Experience in scale-up production of LNP / nanocarrier encapsulated nucleic acids and protein to support preclinical studies.
- Molecular biology experience with analytical tests to measure LNP quality, such as encapsulation efficiency by fluorometry.
- Experience in molecular biology characterization of gene editing technologies, including genomic PCRs, restriction digestions and Sanger sequencing (next generation sequence experience is a plus).
WHAT WE OFFER
- Participation in Employee Stock Option Plan (subject to board approval).
- Health, dental, life and accidental death insurance.
- Paid vacation.
- Paid sick leave.
GOOD TO KNOW
- Offers of employment are conditional upon the successful passing of a reference check and a background check as determined by JLABS @ Toronto policy, as well proof of post-secondary education.
- Due to the nature of the work and subject to applicable laws, Specific Biologics may in certain circumstances advise you that you are not permitted to work on a particular project without proof of immunization.
Applications will be accepted until September 20, 2023, or until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Specific Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodation is available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please advise us at any point and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Specific Biologics Inc. is committed to workforce diversity, creating equity across our systems and fostering and advancing a culture of inclusion. We know that bringing diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives together drives innovation which helps us to solve today’s complex health problems. At Specific Biologics, we believe that diversity, equality and inclusion (EDI) is everyone’s responsibility and serves as a catalyst to enable everyone to reach their full potential and help us innovate to create a healthier world.