Hardware CO-OP, Surgical Systems (12 months)
Synaptive Medical is a Canadian medical device company, based in downtown Toronto, focused on supporting healthcare professionals and systems in patient diagnosis and treatment. Synaptive’s suite of products include MRI, surgical planning, navigation, and robotic visualization – all of which can be seamlessly combined or used independently in the operating room. The company has a number of opportunities for innovative people to join the team and share in the development of technologies to solve surgical and imaging challenges in patient care.
Products at Synaptive include mechanical, electrical, optical and software components and you will learn about all of them and how they work to create state-of-the-art medical devices. We are looking for someone who is eager to dig in, learn and actively contribute to our multi-disciplinary team.
The Surgical Hardware Engineering Co-op will be responsible for developing, procuring, and testing hardware for several neurosurgical medical devices. The cooperative education experience goes beyond regular job duties, wherein students are encouraged to think outside the box. Students have a huge impact on process and product improvements, by applying their theoretical knowledge to work projects.
If you are someone who enjoys being challenged, excited to work as a team, while having sense of autonomy, Synaptive Medical wants you!
What You’ll Do
- Work under the direction of senior members of the hardware team to design and develop mechanical and/or electrical systems according to product requirements
- Support sustaining engineering activities by assessing, debugging and implementing solutions for issues found in production and customer systems
- Generation of models, detailed drawings and BOM of mechanical and/or electrical components
- Build physical prototypes and perform rework by applying techniques such as machining, 3D printing, soldering, crimping and other assembly methods
- Assist in procurement of prototype materials, including liaising with suppliers, generating RFQs and SOWs, as required
- Assist in procurement and testing of prototype hardware
- Support development of testing and manufacturing processes of products including design of test and manufacturing fixtures
- Generate records (technical reports, presentations) to document history of design (DHF) and ensure product can be manufactured and maintained at the highest level of quality
- Assist with other tasks, as required
What You’ll Need
- Enrollment in Mechatronics, Mechanical, Electrical, Systems Engineering, or equivalent
- Experience with Microsoft Office products
It’d Be Amazing If You Had
- Experience with SolidWorks and/or Altium
- Knowledgeable of the following standards: IEC 60601, ISO 13485
- Experience in the design, development, and testing of medical devices
- Friendly and positive attitude
- Self-motivated and self-managing
- Ability to work in a highly technical, fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
Synaptive has a special duty to take a leadership role in protecting the health and wellbeing of its employees and the public. The COVID-19 vaccines are an important public health measure for mitigating the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace and society. As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or a reason protected by legislation why they cannot be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Diversity & Inclusivity
Synaptive is based out of one of the most diverse countries in the world. This includes differences related to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender expression and presentation, sexual orientation, religion, age, ability and socioeconomic status. To us, diversity is one our strongest assets to our organization. We commit ourselves to promoting the recognition and appreciation of our diverse and rich culture. We believe that it is critical to our success to promote freedom of thought and opinion in a respectful environment. The decisions we make are rooted by respectfully considering each other’s thoughts and opinions and by working towards a greater common goal, saving lives.
Synaptive Medical is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. If as a qualified job applicant, you request accommodation, Synaptive will consult with you to provide reasonable accommodations according to your specific needs. If you wish to make a request, you will be provided an opportunity if your application is selected to proceed in our hiring process.
How to Apply
Unless otherwise stated, applications will only be considered from candidates eligible to work in Canada, or the country in which they’re applying to, without sponsorship.
If you are interested in this position and can demonstrate that you meet or exceed the requirements defined in the job description, please include #GOBRAIN in the top right corner of your resume and then complete your online application by clicking “Apply Now” and following the prompts.
The successful candidate to this role will be asked to complete background checks, which may include criminal, credit, employment and/or educational checks. All offers of employment are conditional on the receipt of satisfactory results of any applicable background check.
We would like to thank everyone who submits an application. Due to the volume that we receive, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Pay Type Hourly